Past Issues - Vol. 12 , No. 2, April - June 2016

Al-Shifa Journal of Ophthalmology

Editorial: Oculoplastics and Glaucoma: Prostaglandin associated Periorbitopathy (PAP)
Prof. Dr. Tayyab Afghani

Deciding factors for patients to seek glaucoma specialist care
Yousaf Jamal Mahsood, Irfan Ullah, Muhammad Usman Arshad, Muhammad Zia-Ud-Din Khalil, Hamida Muneer, Farah Akhtar

This Observational cross-sectional study included a total of 400 patients. A short interview about the reasons why patients prefer glaucoma clinic was conducted and they were allowed to make a choice from the given options. At the end they were asked about their satisfaction level from the quality of care they received. The study infers thateconomic status and proper in-time referral by other ophthalmologist are the main deciding factors in glaucoma management.

Efficacy of subtenon anesthesia in manual small incision cataract surgery
Muhammad Zia-ud-Din Khalil, Dr. Irfan Ullah, Dr. Yousaf Jamal Mahsood, Tariq Shahnam, Hina Khan, Adnan Aslam Saleem

This descriptive case series comprising a total of 194 patients was done to analyze the efficacy of sub tenon anaethesia in MSICS. The study concludes that sub-tenon’s anesthesia is an effective and safe technique for manual small incision cataract surgery. Comparing this technique with peribulbar anesthesia there was no significant difference in terms of pain perception during surgery.

Visual outcome after intraocular foreign body removal through pars plana vitrectomy
Bilal Khan, Irfan Aslam Khattak, Bilal Bashir, Zeeshan Tahir, Adnan Alam

The objective of this study was to report the visual outcome after intraocular foreign body removal through pars plana vitrectomy at Lady Reading Hospital Peshawar. Total 50 patients were included, in the age range of 10 to 70 years. Post-op visual improvement was noticed in 30 (60%) cases while it didn’t improve in the remaining 20 (40%) cases. The study concludes that with timely intervention, majority of the patients of IOFB show improvement, provided the damage from IOFB is not too extensive.

Comparative study of epi-off and epi-on Collagen Cross-Linkage in Keratoconus patients
Sumaira Amir, Aamir Asrar, Muhammad Asif, Maha Asrar

The study was conducted to evaluate the results ofepi-off and epi-on(trans-epi) collagen cross-linkage procedures in keratoconus patients. There were forty patients (51 eyes) with CXL epi-on procedure (Group I) and forty patients (51 eyes) with CXL epi-off procedure (Group II). In both treatment groups, there were insignificant difference in terms of improvement in best-corrected visual acuity and topographic parameters.

Clinical profile of keratoconus patients at a tertiary care eye hospital
Rubab Shafqat, Muhammad Usman Sadiq, Muhammad Irfan Sadiq, Sara Najeeb

In this study, 100 keratoconus patients were recruited with a mean age of 19.79 years (SD ±8.55). The study revealed that keratoconus was more common in younger age group usually below 25 years, with higher prevalence in male. Presence of prominent corneal nerves was the most consistent sign in these patients. Due to certain reasons, clinical profile of KC patients reported in this study was not in complete agreement with international studies.

Frequency of ocular co-morbidity in patients with age related cataract
Muhammad Usman Khan, Irfan Aslam Khattak, Omer Ilyas, Sher Akbar Khan

The study was conducted to determine frequency of ocular co-morbidity in patients with age related cataract. Non probability consecutive sampling technique was used for sample collection. The incidence of ocular co-morbidity was 42% patients in which refractive error found in 43% patients, ARMD found in 14% patients, glaucoma found in 9% patients, diabetic retinopathy found in 7% patients.

Causes, clinical behavior and final outcome of Steroid Induced Glaucoma
Saima Jabeen, Yousaf Jamal Mahsood, Muhammad Sadiq Gul, Farah Akhtar

This study was aimed to evaluate the causes, disease pattern and effect of different treatment options on steroid induced glaucoma. Thirty six eyes of 18 patients, were included in the study. Among 18 patients 14 (78.7%) had VKC, 2 (11.1%) had bilateral penetrating keratoplasty, 1 (5.5%) had retinitis pigmentosa, and 1 (5.5%) had vasculitis. The mean pretreatment IOP was 22.1 ±5.68 mm of Hg and post treatment IOP was 16.52±8.47 mmof Hg. Majority of patients were stable on topical IOP lowering agents.

Dilemma of Latanoprost induced hyperpigmentation-A review
Mahmood Ali, Muhammad Sadiq Gul, Farah Akhtar

The purpose of this review article is to understand and evaluate prognosis, mechanism, pathogenesis and inhibition of latanoprost induced hyperpigmentation and other related side effects.