Past Issues - Vol. 12 , No. 1, Jan - March 2016

Al-Shifa Journal of Ophthalmology

Editorial: Ocular Trauma in Children - Prevention is better than cure
Dr. Mahmood Ali

Comparison of efficacy of intraviteal avastin alone with combination of intraviteal avastin and peribulbar triamcinolone in diabetic macular edema
Yaseen Lodhi, Adnan Aslam Saleem, Danish Gani, Nadeem Qureshi

To compare the efficacy of intravitreal injection avastin alone with combined intravitreal injection of avastin and posterior sub tenon triamcinolone/kenacort (PSTK) in patients of diabetic macular edema,the study was carried out in the VR department of Al-Shifa Trust Eye Hospital, Rawalpindi. Main outcome measure was to measure improvement in number of Snellen visual acuity lines one month after treatment in this randomized clinical trial.

Detection of early glaucomatous damage in Pseudoexfoliation syndrome by assessment of retinal nerve fiber layer
Amna Manzoor Mughal, Adnan Aslam Saleem, Aziz Jan Bashir, Farah Akhtar

To compare mean RNFL thickness measured using spectral OCT in the PXS eye without glaucoma with the normal eye RNFL thickness, a case control study was conducted at Al-Shifa Trust Eye Hospital, Rawalpindi, from June 2013 to March 2014. The study included 80 patients; 40 in non-glaucomatous pseudoexfoliation syndrome group and 40 in age matched control group. The RNFL thickness (global average) was assessed using OCT and compared with age matched normal control subjects.

Reasons for poor visual outcome in ocular trauma in the paedriatic age group
Amtul Aziz, Saemah Nuzhat Zafar, Nadia Azad, Sumaira Altaf, Farid Khalid Chishti, Ayesha Khan

To study the visual outcome, complications and reason for poor visual outcome in eyes with ocular trauma in the paediatric age group aprospective hospital based case series was conducted. Patients with ocular trauma presenting in the Paediatric Ophthalmology Department of a tertiary care eye hospital over a period of five years were evaluated.

Level of satisfaction in patients using ocular prosthesis
Saira Noreen, Tayyab Afghani

There were two objectives of the study, first to assess the level of satisfaction in anophthalmic patients using ocular prosthesis and second to identify the factors which affect the patients’ satisfaction. Twenty five subjects having anophthalmos already wearing prosthetic eye were enrolled in this studyand were interviewed using a structured questionnaire. Through this, level of satisfaction in anophthalmic patients and the factors which significantly affect the patient’s satisfaction were evaluated.

Refractive changes after Ptosis Surgery
Kunza Zafar, Tayyab Afghani

There were two objectives, first, to analyze the refractive change in children with congenital ptosis who have undergone levator resection/ sling surgery during the period of study and second, to find out the relationship between preoperative severity of ptosis and postoperative magnitude of change in refractive error. Twenty patients with isolated congenital ptosis were taken through convenient sampling who fit the inclusion criteria. Two techniques were used for the surgery- sling and levator resection. Preoperative and postoperative visual acuity was measured by age-appropriate methods, VA was then converted to LOGMAR.

Prevalence And Pattern Of Refractive Errors In School Age Children Between 5 And 15 Years
Muhammad Adeel, Hassan Masanna, Abdul Hannan

To determine the frequency of refractive errors and their types in school age children between 5 and 15 years, a descriptive cross sectional study was conducted. The sample size was 170 children. The mean + SD age of the study patients was 9.98 + 2.96 years ranging from 5 to 15 years. Out of 170 children 54.71% were males while remaining 45.29% were females. Prevalence of refractive error werecalculated including their types.

A Newborn child with Peters Anomaly and Hydrocephalus (Case Report)
Muhammad Kashif Habib, Saad Alam Khan, Muhammad Saqib Habib

A one month old female child presented with complaints of watering and discharge from her right eye. On examination her right eye had corneal abscess with descemetocele and perforation, while left eye had microcornea and corneal opacity with central irido-corneal and lenticulo-corneal adhesions (Peters anomaly). On systemic examination she was having hydrocephalus.